Sunday, August 23, 2009

A thought on Semiotics

When I first heard the word "semiotics" I was curious. Semiotics is the study of signs and their production meanings. Honestly, I guess I have never really considered the complexity of a logo. It has to get the point across without confusing the viewer. One example of this is the "M" that Mcdonald's uses for it's logo. Really anywhere a person goes and see that capital golden M they without a second thought know that it's a Mcdonald's. In this case, Mcdonald's has a very affect logo because it answers the how, what, and why. Meaning, that the viewer understands the logo, knows what it represents, and knows the meaning behind the logo in context to what they need.

However, there are still things about semiotics that I think are confusing. Mainly, it's the vocabulary. But, I believe with more reading and through this course I'll be able to unwrinkle some of the concepts behind semiotics.

1 comment:

  1. Good, McDonalds does have a very effective logo. It is a symbol that we all have learned. The golden arches also represent the letter M.

    ReplyDelete